Brethren of Horace W. Tyler and Evergreen Lodges, Ladies and Gentlemen of Tyler Chapter and Bethel 32,
INSURANCE DEDUCTABLE PAID OFF!!! WB Rufus Allen (Templeboard President) had requested help to pay off the $1000 fire insurance deductable, and boy I’m impressed how quickly you brothers came through for your lodge. Within days, I had $200 in checks and by last night’s meeting, we collected a total of $1032 in cash and checks for the insurance deductable. I deposited $1002 today and by direction of the lodge, am using $30 for a gift for the lady who reported the fire and basically saved our building (We will also invite her to dinner at some future date). At the end of repair process, that $1000 will be used to pay the contractor’s final payment. With your permission, I will start a new fund with any further monies that arrive to me, that will be turned over to the Templeboard for the many miscellaneous costs that I’m sure will ensue in this process.
Tyler Lodge met in stated meeting last night and many brothers had a chance to inspect the damage. You noticed that the lodge room has for now been cleared of smoke odor through the use of ozone machines over this last weekend. However, that doesn’t mean that we are free of smoke damage in that room…
Today, WB Rufus Allen, WM Steve Turner, and others met with our insurance adjuster and a potential contractor to get an initial scope of the repairs to take place. While the direct fire damage is contained mostly to one room and the floor above, they noted the extensive evidence throughout the building of compressed smoke in the walls and ceiling. This will entail removing ceilings in the lodge room and fellowship hall to make it right. So while I personally was hoping for little impact to our work in the lodge room, that’s not to be the case. The good news is that we can expect the finished repairs to create an improvement to our building’s insulation/wiring/etc. We have good insurance. Initial thoughts are about a 3-month repair process. The Templeboard’s priorities for repair are: 1. Seal the open vent where the fire started. 2. New or repaired main doors. 3. Make sure furnace works or replace it. 4. Upstairs repairs. 5. Downstairs repairs. The Templeboard’s goal is to have the upstairs or downstairs available during the entire repair process, making the building usable throughout the process. Of course, many details will have to be worked out and we will all have to remain as flexible as possible. We’re not exactly sure yet when the contractor will start, because the city must first come in and do a survey of the damage and repairs for permit/code purposes.
As part of the process, lodge/chapter/bethel paraphanelia will have to be removed from the premises to either the opposite floor, or to a on-site storage unit that the adjuster said will be provided. Contractors can and will do this as part of the claim process, but organizations will want to stay involved.
On a side note, at lodge last night, one of our elder brothers, WB Bill Mickelson, feinted in his seat and we called for an ambulance and treated for first aid. Bill is at St Claire hospital in Lakewood, Room 2222 for at least today. I saw him today; he’s talking and in good spirits but is having some blood pressure issues that they are trying to straighten out before he goes home. We been in contact with his sons David and VWB Dean Mickelson. Join me in wishing Bill a quick and lasting recovery !
In the Faith,
Secretary, Horace W. Tyler Lodge #290 and Tyler Templeboard